The Scott Sanatorium

The Scott Sanatorium In 1912 it was felt that there was a need for a sanatorium in Nairobi for white settlers, and the idea for the Scott Sanatorium took root. What was the origin of its name? It was named for the Rev. Henry Edwin Scott, LRCP and SE, a medical missionary. Dr. Scott, who died in 1911 in his forty-eighth year, was educated at the Royal High School and the University of Edinburgh. He was a distinguished football player and a good all‑round athlete. He had been a missionary of the Church of Scotland since 1890 and was first stationed at Nyasaland. In December 1907 he was transferred to Kikuyu, British East Africa, to act as the head of the Church of Scotland Mission there. He took a prominent place in the public life of the community. He was a member of the Government Board of Education, and the Government also called on him for advice in connection with native affairs. He also helped to found the YMCA in Nairobi. He was so honoured and respected by the local community that they named the Scott Memorial Sanatorium after him.   The generosity of Northrup McMillan, the Nairobi benefactor, enabled the project to go ahead. He gave a donation of £1,000 and stood guarantor for a loan of a further £2,500. Subscriptions were solicited and the nurse and midwife Violet Donkin was recruited in England to lead the sanatorium. We can trace the building’s progress from the local paper, The Leader. The Leader – 10 August 1912 The subscriptions to date for working expenses on behalf of the Scott...